Saturday, June 22, 2013

Does Ultra Running Translate well to Backpacking? YES!

I'm thrilled with my first backpacking experience!

We planned 6 days backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in The Great Smoky Mountain National Park, starting out at Cades Cove, near Gatlinburg, TN.

"When man makes plans, God laughs."

Day one 6 miles straight uphill.  Okay, at 1 mile per hour we rocked that.  No pain, no blisters, just some great scenes with great company.

Night one, it started to rain!

Day two it rained.  Gregg injured his Achilles Tendon so we didn't get the planned mileage on day two.

Night two, it rained!

Day three it rained.  I took a little hike up to a higher knob to get a signal, checked radar and the forecast and took the bad news back to the others.  We packed up and hiked back down the mountain.
The hotel changed our reservation from Friday to that night, we stayed an extra day and drove home on Wednesday.

What a bummer, but I got a taste and love the menu!!

I will include pictures and gear review when I get everything sorted out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment