Thursday, April 7, 2016

Looking Forward by Looking Back

The Next 50 Years

Today I'm 50 years old, 50..... years... 5.... decades.... 1/2...... century....

There are many ways this could be handled.  Hiding under the covers or counting wrinkles, aches, pains and gray hairs isn't going to be any of them.  Life is too grand, too expanding, too important to focus on all that stuff.  The next ___________ (between now and dead) are going to be great!

Why you say?  how do I know this?  How can it be?

I am the author of my story.  I will write it into being.

The last few years have been a time of intense pain, truth facing and healing.  The mental work that it took to put me in a place to push myself through 100 miles pushed me through some personal baggage that has been hanging around a decade or three too long.

At 42 years old, in March, a beginning running class at the health club forever changed my life.  At the time running one minute was out of the question.  By May I was challenged by those running coaches to train for a 1/2 marathon in November.  Travelling that far on foot was a dumb idea and I told them so.   A few weeks later after an eight mile training run with these ladies, a 1/2 marathon seemed possible.   1/2 November 2008, 25K Feb 2009, trail run June 2009, oh man I was hooked!

Now look I'm 50 years old.  I made the goal of running 100 miles by 50 years old.  I did it.

It has been a great blessing to be surrounded by people in their 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's running, doing, moving, being amazing.  With the freedom from baggage and with last summers mental work, with these grand examples in my life, its without fear to face the big 50 and what comes beyond.

Jesus Christ and my relationship with Him
Prayer
My husband and children
Team RWB
Endorphins
Trail running family
The dearest of friends
Meditation
Disciple of training for 100
University of Podcast

These are the tools used to make the next 20+ years simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment