Wednesday, October 11, 2017

How Not To Finish A 100 Miler




Traveller 2/Lisa 1

I have to get this written down before I forget the lessons.
Over-hydration - use rock salt before vomiting
Blisters - going back to the drawing board, starting with wide sized shoes

Chris Beason, Jackie Stone, me, Kevin King

My plan was to use the same race management techniques I used at Do-Wacka-Do 50 Miler.  That day was hot, this race would be hot.  This race has shade, that one didn't.  It should work out right?  Right!

I purposefully don't use the GPS watch as it will stress me out to be checking my pace all the time and I would.  Using perceived exertion doesn't work either as the excitement is too great and I have a hard time gauging actual exertion.  I discovered a way to keep things chill when they need to be chill.  I only breath through my mouth.  As long as I can breath through my nose only I'm not going out too hard.  It worked well.  That first 16 miles went as planned and on schedule. 
I was only in the Sylvia aid station 4 minutes and out. 

Jackie Stone helping me get through the aid station quickly

Between Cross-roads and Pumpkin Patch at about mile 20 I realized I had been drinking too much water, over-hydrated, and my stomach was telling me about it.  I know that a good upchuck can lead to a good stomach reset so that is what I did.  Almost immediately things started feeling better.  
I did spend another 3 minutes at Pumpkin Patch taking an alka seltzer and getting an ice bandana ready, it was starting to get warm.

My stomach still wasn't right, but it was getting better.  It took me a full hour to go the 2 miles between Pumpkin Patch and Electronic Tower aid station!  I didn't drink any, I did rinse my mouth out every 10 minutes.  With ginger ale in my tummy and ice bandana refreshed it was off to the Rocky Gap aid station 4 and some odd miles away.  Again I just sipped and washed my mouth out instead of drinking.  
At Rocky Gap the volunteers were like the very best pit crew!  They had me in and out in 2 minutes with ice in my hat, my bandana, 3 cups of ginger ale on the rocks and an alka seltzer.  I was starting to feel better so after that first climb I was able to run and I did, every downhill as fast as I could because I knew I was behind schedule.

Lake Winona Aid Station:
35 minutes.... that is how long it took to fix my feet to get back out there.
After Do-Wacka and all those blisters after I spent the summer working out the blister problem I invested in the book Fixing Your Feet - the 6th edition by John Vonhof. 
I had spent the last month figuring things out and though I had it down, well I didn't.  Both big toes were blistered along with the inside of both heels. 
At least, thanks to the book, I knew how to fix them and I had the supplies, it did take time though.

My amazing crew sent me off with some pain killer and a warning about the miles and time I had left.  I ran every downhill, run walked the flats, run the undulations, it just wasn't enough.  I could have overcome one problem either the over-hydration or the blisters, but both together was just too much.  I got to Powerline outbound 15 minutes after the cut off.  I hugged PT as he cut my armband off. 

Finishing is winning.  What happens when you don't finish?  How can you still "win"?

Now I define a different win:
Feel true joy as I go back to the aid station and help runners achieve their dreams.
Maintain a good attitude.
Have grace for myself. The same grace I would give to any runner who didn’t achieve a goal they had worked so hard to achieve.

I did those things.  I went back to the aid station, napped, helped other runners.
I went to the finish line for Chrissy's finish.  I enjoyed and cheered other runners finishing this beast.  I did maintain a good attitude.  I noticed many non-finishers at the finish line this year, feeling true joy for those who crossed the finish line.  

I’m truly grateful for my pacers and crew, they gave their full
love and attention to me for the weekend.  I don't have the words to express my gratitude. ❤️       to 
The temperature highs on Saturday were 91 degrees.  I think that is the hottest Traveller ever.  Kevin W. Griffin put together the following chart showing temperatures and finishing rates over the past few years.

Chart by Kevin W Griffin
I'm committed to pacing Chris Beason next year so it will mean a year of not training for the Traveller.  It kind of feels unreal now to not have that as a goal for 2018.  It will be a fabulous to give back to Chris who as given me three years! 

Good luck Chris, get training!  LOL

P. S. 12 Oct 2017 Thursday
My brother, Rich, called me last night and we talked for a bit.  I was whining and complaining that I had so many negative thoughts and how the energy to shut them off may have been energy used to make my legs go faster.  He reminded me that that is normal.  I did have a plan and executed that plan to shut those negative thoughts off.  That is a win, not a loss!
Thank you Rich, that helps a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment