Monday, September 19, 2011

At What Point am I a Runner?

I'm an ultramarathoner, but am I a runner?
I'm a marathoner, but am I a runner?
My pace is considered "jogging" by my phone app.  I can't in this lifetime "run" fast enough for my app to consider me a runner.
I wonder if when I can run a marathon at a 10 minute mile pace, will I then consider myself a runner?

A dear wise friend responded thus:
You run me into the ground. You're a runner by my standards. Besides, everyone has their own pace.You don't have to be the best at what you do, you just have to love doing it. That's how you know you're doing your own best. Just because your phone app (or anyone else for that matter) doesn't consider you as a "runner", you've definitely got the drive, the heart, and the stamina of one. There will always be someone who can run faster, but if you love what you're doing and stick to it, there's no one else who can run "better" than you.

Thank you Colby.  I needed your words of encouragement in my down moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment