Sunday, August 5, 2012

Out of Love With Social Media

I have been considering friendships.

I have running friends, horsey friends, work friends, food friends, church friends.  I don't have friends that blanket all of these areas.  Does anyone?

I think maybe we are knowing too much about each other because of social media.  There are just some things I don't want or need to know.

Chris hates the idea of social media.  August is our anniversary month.  So as a gift to him, and as an experiment I'm off Facebook for the month of August.  I deactivated my account on Aug 1st in the evening.  I logged back on yesterday for a few hours to gather information I needed in private emails.  OMGosh, the hateful posts against people that disagree was just overwhelming in the few hours that I was on.  I was very happy to deactivate again, and go take a shower.

Day 1:  more reading
Day 2: nap
Day 3: realizing how hateful some people really are with a few moments back on facebook
Day4: feeling very clean being disconnected

I use social media as a tool for racing and running activities.  I need to figure out how to get that from facebook without knowing and examining the throw-up of everyone online.
I love seeing my children/grandchildren pictures.  

 So lessons I would like to learn by the end of Aug:
1. Manage online time, if its not productive cut it off and read a book.
2. Limit information received by me by my contacts.  I don't need to or want to know everything.  I don't need the stress of people I know throwing up information that makes it hard to respect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment