Thursday, May 18, 2017

April

April

April wasn't a normal April in our world.  Kim was injured multiple times in work related car wrecks.  After many years of pain and almost a year off work she finally got back surgery approved.  She had her surgery April 2, 2017.  I flew out on the 7th of April to spend two weeks helping her recover.  Her husband, Gregg, had to go back to work at that time.
Always choose a window seat

Spending time with Kim in Maryland
It makes all the teen drama, all the heartache of parenting worth it to have this kind of friendship with adult children.  Life is so good, and so very worth the struggle.

One of the urban run routes in Maryland
 Priority while in Maryland wasn't running or my training schedule.  It was doing any lifting, twisting, turning, cleaning, etc Kim would need done.  I did get all my miles in, they were urban miles, not my favorite, but some of the views were spectacular!


Ouachita Trail 50K

Four days before the OT50 I returned home.
Training for 50 miles just wasn't possible this year even though I was entered in that distance.  I did have a solid 50K training base going on.  So once again, .....
I felt good, confident, happy on the starting line.  I excicuted a perfect pace going out to Pinnacle Mountain before our climb up said mountain.
Thank you Arkansas Outside for being at the top of Pinnacle Mountain to document the climb!
Making up Pinnacle stinks, but it is a stink I volunteer for so no complaining allowed.  Coming down the other side once again, as last year, I sprained my left foot as it rolled off the side of a rock &^%$!!!  Not again!  Last year I was able to run it out last year and had a PR on this course.  I immediately knew it was in worse shape than last year but talked myself into going on so I could qualify for High Miles (300 miles) for the Arkansas Ultra Running Association UTS Series
and to earn that new race medal.  It was just too easy to listen to the wrong voice and make the wrong choice.  So I went on, not dropping as would have been the wise choice.

I met and had the pleasure of sharing some race miles with Mark Goodson

I met Mark Goodson shortly after descending Pinnacle Mountain.
We ran for about 7 - 8 miles together.  Well, we hobbled.  He too was nursing an injury.  We hobbled up hill and during the super technical parts and ran or something akin to running on the flats and smoother downhills.  At that time Mark was starting to feel better and it was time for him to speed up and get on down the trail.
Mark is entered in the Arkansas Traveller 100 as his first 100 mile race.  Happy training Mark!

I knew I should have stopped when I got down from Pinnacle Mountain.  I knew I should have stopped at the first aid station.  I knew I should have stopped at the turn around.  By that time it really didn't matter if I stopped or not.  I went on and on and on.

Walking/hobbling/jogging the smoother places was done until I hit pavement.  There was no running on pavement.  Even fast hiking hurt like crazy.  So walking was in order.

When I got to the last aid station at East Pinnacle Tom Avery was there waiting for me.  He had asked Chrissy if he could go out and run me in.  The thoughtfulness still leaves me speechless!  Kimberly Stoneman was also at the same aid station, so the three of us walked it in talking.  It was a great time and a grand way to suffer through those last miles.  

A surprise aid station!  Tom Avery joined me for the last 6 miles.


The finish line with Chrissy Ferguson the OT50 Race Director
Possible partial tear of the Peroneus Brevis Tendon

This is the second time I have injured this same foot in the exact same way.  As I write this, 18 May 2017, its almost four weeks since this injury.  There is a small bump at the point of injury.  It is still a bit sore.  I'm not running.  I am back to walking, hiking, stair stepper, cycling.  When I can run again I will be in better shape than when the injury occurred.

Exactly right there is where it hurts

Team RWB Central Arkansas one day Trail Running 101 Clinic at Pinnacle Mountain State Park  with Fleet Feet Easy Runner 
 April 29, 2017, Saturday we, Team RWB Central Arkansas teamed up with Fleet Feet Easy Runner to put on a single day beginning trail running clinic.  We focus on the questions a new runner or a seasoned runner new to trails would have.  We do this every year.  What a treat it is to see the spark start in a new runner's eye after a few runs on the trail! 

Blessed Mama got to hug her son and her daughter in the same month!
 Daniel got a few days of leave and came home for a visit.

That is a wrap for April




No comments:

Post a Comment