Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Everything you may want to know, and don't know who to ask.

I remember reading an article in a running magazine when I was new to running; "Everything you wish you could ask about running"  It didn't answer my questions :(  I will try to remember those newbie, questions that one may be too modest to ask.  You really need to know this stuff to have good runs though, so here we go.



Chafing:  http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/anti_chafing_and_skin_care/anti_chafing/

Put any of these products including petroleum jelly like Vaseline, anywhere you may chafe.
Vaseline may stain your clothing.  I have never used Hydropel, but have heard it is worth the price to prevent blisters on the feet.  By anywhere you may chafe I mean anywhere.
Guys:  Keep The Boys protected.  Grease up or pay the price.  I have heard of and have friends who have suffered chafing to the point of bleeding on "the boys".  Guys; protect your nipples.  Bloody nipples are painful.

Girls:  Under the bra, between your legs, ANYwhere that may chafe.

I'm 45 years old and have had 2 babies..... after about an hour I'm going to "leak".  We live in a great day and age with modern technology.  I call them "granny pads" and they have saved many a run!  They have panty liner sized pads for incontinence.    These are discrete race savers!

Consider vomiting a stomach reset:
Why would we vomit during a race?  maybe we put too much into our stomachs, or too strong of just enough.  Some products are too strong for some runners.  I have to dilute sports drinks by at least 2/1 to be able to stomach it.  Too much water will make one sick to their stomach.  Too strong of a sugar mixture could also cause stomach upset. 
Too much fiber the day before race day can cause stomach distress.  Eating what you may not be used to can cause stomach distress.
A dear friend, the night before his first marathon, carb loaded on pasta.  The only problem is, he hadn't been eating pasta for months.  This was the perfect storm for a perfectly miserable race.

Take care of the girls.  Runner's World has a great article on how to choose a running bra:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--14092-F,00.html

I will add more to this as I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment