Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Gear Used for Appalachian Trail Adventure

Gear Used for Appalachian Trail Adventure


Hoka One One Bondi 3

This is a road shoe.
It functions perfectly on the trail giving a smooth ride and no rubbing blisters.
Can be purchased locally by the trained staff at Rock City Running.  
Hoka One One Bondi 3

Orange Mud HydraQuiver Vest Pack 2


I love my hydration packs but there is a problem with storage room.  I'm gluten free, during a race, let
alone during an all day solo event, I need lots of room for fuel.  So giving this a try was the next option.  I used this with one other water bottle put into the left front pocket, it fit perfectly.  I was carrying 70 oz of liquid.

To add storage I used two extra storage packs that can be attached between the water bottles on the back with the ingenious attachment system.  Attach the first pack as shown in the video on the website.  Bungie the second pack to the first pack.

This didn't work out so well as it puts too much weight on the back which isn't the way this pack is designed to work.  I did get some discomfort and chafing because of the extra weight in the back.  I need to go for a run using this pack as designed to evaluate its performance for me.

Locally this system is available at Go! Running in Little Rock.  Tell Stacey I sent you.  





Many ultra runners have tummy troubles.  This spring I started adding this to my hydration pack along with Nuun Tablets to see if it would help with tummy troubles.  It worked flawlessly.  I purchase at The Good Measure in Searcy, AR


Nuun Tablets are my best go to hydration solution.  Its tricky finding something that gives the needed electrolytes without making the tummy rage.  Nuun does that for me.  Strawberry Lemonade is my favorite flavor.


Knowing a water filter would be needed and not wanting to carry the big one made this a treasure of a find.  Its very small, it can be used on a hydration pack, with the squeeze bag, on a water bottle, or with the straw.  If one is out in the wild a collapsible cup may be needed as it would be impossible to fill up the squeeze bottle if the water source was too small to dip the bottle into.  I used a ziplock back to fill from a small water flow to fill the squeeze bag then filter into the Orange Mud water bottle.
These are available at Walmart, Amazon, and outdoor stores.


This is great stuff.  It goes on white like most baby bottom products, but as you rub it in it blends in clear.  It saves the body from the nasty chaffing! Outch!
I got mine at Target.

I'm prone to blister on my toes.  These Nuwool Injinji socks haven't prevented blisters 100% but has greatly reduced the instances of blisters.  


Black Diamond Z Poles
Mine are a few years old.  They are carbon fiber, fold away nicely to attach to your pack when not needed.  I used them the whole way and was glad to.  They prevented some very nasty spills!





Petzl Nao
I was hesitant to purchase this because of the weight.  The strap over the top makes it very balanced.  I don't have to tighten it up to keep it from sliding, so less headlamp headaches.
For the next nighttime adventure I had forgotten to recharge the battery.  I used a portable charger to recharge while driving out to the race course.  It showed a full charge, but didn't have a full charge as after 6 hours it started blinking telling me the battery was going dead.  It needs to be plugged in to a home charger to get the full proper charge.  

Go out, have fun, make your own adventures! 


No comments:

Post a Comment