Monday, November 28, 2011

6/12/24 Sunset Run

What does one do when they are not a bit interested in the madness of Black Friday?  Why they go run 50 miles, of course!!!



Andi Stracner and I saw this as a perfect storm, close to home, perfect weather, great support, and an easy course, everything one needs to get in their first 50 miler.
While this was an event based upon how far one can run in a certain amount of time, we had a mileage goal, of 50 miles.

Race morning found it very foggy and cool.  Five men and we two women showed up for the 24 hour adventure. The course was a 1.015 asphalt loop around a very small, Canada Goose filled lake.  The foggy morning burned off to a gentle, partly cloudy day.  One couldn't have asked for better weather.

At about mile 20 my toes were pushing on the inside edge of my shoes.  No amount of adjusting was helping so it was time to change shoes.  So I changed from the Scott eRide Grip to the Sketcher Pro Resistance for the last 30 miles.  Yes I was using trail shoes on the road, but they are so comfortable.  I think I need a 1/2 size bigger for the longer runs.

By about mile 30 hip bursitis on the right side decided to join the party.  When walking I would turn my right foot in to ease the pain in the upper part of my leg.  Running felt much better than walking.  Somewhere during the run I strained, sprained or something, the outside of my left foot.  By the time I met my mileage goal I could hardly walk, as has been the case since.

(Visited podiatrist today, Monday 28 Nov 2011)  no stress fracture, soft cast, no running till 3 days pain free

Tim was out to do his first 100 miler, and he did!
Maurice was celebrating his 70's birthday with 70 miles, and he did!!
Jesse was there to come back to ultra running.  He did with 50 miles!
After I hit my goal of 50 miles I went home.  Andi stuck around, resting and walking, resting and walking.  She logged 63 miles!  go Andi!!  Her farthest to date was a 50K (31 miles), now she can claim 100K.

One thing I can guarantee about ultra running, at some point in the race it is going to suck, if not physically than mentally, or both.  To control the physical suckage I studied up on fueling/electrolytes and hydration for ultras.  An excellent resource for nutrition is Sunny Blende - ultra marathoner and nutritionist.

The other one, the mental, I have been doing an ongoing experiment for several months now.  I am working on staying "in the moment" mentally.   When things get hard and my mind wants to race ahead to the next aid station, or the finish line, or somewhere else, if I can pull it back to NOW the race goes better.

I dedicated my last 5 miles, mile 46 - 50, to different people who I love, who inspire me, who can't run anymore and the like.  The one thought that occurred  to me was that I chose this suffering.  I have an end date on the suffering.  These, my friends, they don't have an end date on their suffering, which they didn't choose.  They were being strong, I can be strong.  The dark thoughts went away and that was the end of that. 

Someone had painted graffiti on the path.  "Brian & Amber together 4 ever"  It went on to say; "I will not lie to your, I will not cheat on you".

 I figured they had broken up before the paint dried and if they have to say it, they have already done it (lie and cheat).
Andi came up with a lil game to keep our minds busy.  We made up a different, very short story for each lap.  Brian and Amber had many adventures that they don't even know about!!  LOL

I finished 50.75 miles in 15 hours 28 minutes

Mistakes:  too many aid station stops.  With that aid at every lap, every mile, it is just too easy to stop, even if it is only for 30 seconds.
Do a better job organizing my drop bag.  Maybe even sorting fueling by time or mileage having them labeled in baggies.

Things I did right:  Stay focused!!!  YES!!!
study so much and get hydration/fueling right!!  YES!!

Andi, my dear running sister, I can't wait to run with you again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment